Do you know you can be suffering from obesity without even knowing about it? Obesity is a disease where the body suffers from an excessive amount of body fat. It is a medical problem that increases the risk of heart diseases, BP, diabetes, and in some cases cancers. It occurs because of a combination of different factors including environmental factors, diet, and physical activities.
According to Prevalence of obesity in India: A systematic review by Rajeev Ahirwar and Prakash Ranjan Mondal, in India, more than 13 crore people suffer from obesity with the prevalence rate of 11.8% to 31.3%. Let’s see some of the most common causes of obesity.
Genetics affect your metabolism and how your body processes food.
- Sedentary lifestyle leads to low physical activity.
- Uneven sleep cycle leads to hormonal changes which make you feel hungrier. OSA – Obstructive sleep apnea.
- Pregnancy weight can be difficult to lose which eventually leads to obesity.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) causes imbalance of female reproductive hormones which aids in weight gain.
- Hypothyroidism also leads to obesity because of the lack of important hormones.
The good news is that morbid obesity can be cured using surgical methods. These are some of the surgical solutions of obesity.
- Gastric bypass: In this surgery, food intake and its absorption is restricted. Some part of the stomach is closed off which leads to low intake of food in a single sitting. The small part of the stomach is attached to the small intestine and thus food bypasses the stomach and it leads to low absorption.
- Mini Gastric Bypass: In this surgery, a part of the stomach is attached to the lower part of the small intestine.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy : It is also called stomach stapling. It is done by applying staples or to the stomach.
Surgical treatments for obesity are gaining a lot of traction. But it is important to choose the best in the healthcare industry for long lasting results. Contact Radiance hospital and book your appointment for surgical treatment of Obesity.